Thursday, April 22, 2004

everyone wants a Prius

Apparently I am an "active" blogger user. I'm almost tempted to sign up for another account, but I suppose that would be silly.

I've talked to several people recently about the new 2004 Toyota Prius. Regardless of whether people are buying them (and they are) the fact is that buying a hybrid has become an option to be discussed. One theory is that people are increasingly aware of environmental issues and sensitive to gas prices. My theory is that Toyota has done a really good job building and marketing a true hybrid car to more mainstream consumers.

The Prius is a midsize sedan, base priced at around $20K. The electric motor generates 67 hp and 295 ft/lbs of torque, and the gas motor generates 76 hp and 82 ft/lbs of torque. The combined hp results in a somewhat respectable 0-60 time of 9.8 seconds. The 2004 Camry LE is also around $20K, has a 0-60 time of 9.2 seconds, and it doesn't handle nearly as well. So, the Prius is comparable in price and performance to one of the most popular cars in the US.

But the real story is that for whatever reason, the Prius has become trendy. Hollywood is full of Priuses, even at the Academy Awards. Waiting lists are months long, and everyone wants what they can't get, right?

 

This is my personal blog. The views expressed on these pages are mine alone and not that of my employer.