Wednesday, January 24, 2007

goodbye, athena

I'm losing my Athena account next week.

Athena is MIT's campus-wide distributed network. Basically, an Athena account is a Unix account with a gig of space, an HTTP server, and lots of other random utilities like Matlab and LaTeX, etc. I could have kept it by continuing to act as a volunteer online consultant, but my knowledge is increasingly outdated and it started to seem like I was just mooching off the system.

Besides, I don't really use my account much anymore. I used to use it exclusively for email (go MH!) until Gmail came along a couple of years ago, and I used to host photos on it until I traded up to a 7.1 megapixel camera, and 1 gig wasn't really big enough anymore. Now it's basically a place for me to keep random notes and bits of data, so it shouldn't be that hard for me to give up the account, but it does feel awfully strange; kind of like I'm letting go of my college days. I guess it's about time.

 

This is my personal blog. The views expressed on these pages are mine alone and not that of my employer.