Thursday, July 24, 2008

no boys allowed

It always feels a little "junior high" to me to be in a group which is all girls and no guys.

Well, last weekend, I had an overnight BBQ & games party at my parents' house, and for the first time (for a variety of reasons, none of which involves anyone disliking the company of guys), I invited all girls.

Things that were different:
- We did an arts & crafts project instead of playing waterpolo-type games in the pool. I like both crafts and sports but I find that when there are guys around, there's less general interest in crafts. Anyway, I thought I'd take this opportunity, and asked my sister to put something together. She came up with a really cool candle-making activity which involved lots of different colored chunks of solid wax and pouring liquid wax on top. Fun!
- There were a lot less people, so there was more time to talk and hang out with everyone. I think my mom and sister had a lot of fun chatting with my friends. My dad went to a dinner party for most of the night; I have no idea if that was planned specifically to coincide with the BBQ or not, but it was probably good timing, since he might have been bored.
- One of the girls put together a trivia game, where we all answered questions about each other. It was really well done; obviously carefully planned, the questions were challenging and interesting, and the question cards themselves were gorgeous.
- We baked our own desserts (chocolate souffles) instead of my mom baking them for us, and they turned out well, which is not a given when it comes to souffles.
- I bought two dozen mini-cupcakes from Sibby's. I probably wouldn't have bought them for mixed company since they're super girly-looking. (Of course we finished them, since they're delicious.)
- One person brought her year-old toddler, and we spent some amount of time making sure he didn't hurt himself or break anything, but it was actually not too bad with twelve or thirteen adults around to keep an eye on him. Plus, it was kind of entertaining to watch him running around begging random people for more cherries.
- I got to do the BBQ-ing. Guys always think that they own the grill, for some reason. Silly people.
- We ate a lot less steak and drank a lot less beer than usual. My mom now has eight extra premium beef filets in her refrigerator. Good thing I warned her and she didn't buy too much beer.

Things that were the same:
- We ate a lot. My mom always has lots of good quality fruit and we gorged ourselves on cherries, blueberries, pineapple, etc. We didn't finish the steak but we finished everything else; chicken wings, BBQ beef, shrimp, squid, mushrooms, corn, Chinese chicken salad, and more. For dessert, we had the cupcakes and the souffle, with ice cream and gelato. For brunch the next day, we had my mom's excellent shi fan (rice porridge), ham and cheese crepes, and scallion pancakes, and then she baked us a homemade rum raisin cake for "snack". So much good food, so little time...
- We played board games until late and didn't get to bed until after 4am. It's so nice to be playing games and know you don't have to go to work the next day and you don't have to drive anywhere afterwards.
- We had a lot of fun. I do like overnight parties. Maybe it's because I wasn't allowed to stay overnight at other people's houses when I was a kid, until fifth grade or so.

No comments:

 

This is my personal blog. The views expressed on these pages are mine alone and not that of my employer.