Wednesday, November 17, 2010

high school...not totally useless

I'm spending a week in our Zurich engineering office, visiting some engineers that I've worked with for years, but many of whom I've never actually met face-to-face. It's been fun; everyone's really friendly and I've gotten lots of invitations for lunch, dinner, coffee, drinks, and even foosball.

Anyway, I flew Swiss Air nonstop from SFO on the way over, and all the announcements were done first in German, then in French, and finally in English. It was the same at the Zurich airport, and again on the rail (6 CHF from the airport to the "Hauptbahnhof" main station). I was a bit surprised to discover that my high school French is good enough that I usually understand what's happening without having to wait for the English translation.

(As an aside, there are like twenty kinds of Swiss chocolates in the various kitchens and cafes on the seven floors of this office. It might be deadly to stay here too long.)

No comments:

 

This is my personal blog. The views expressed on these pages are mine alone and not that of my employer.