Monday, January 12, 2004

SARS screening and playoff basketball

When I was in Taipei, I was amazed at the amount of temperature screening being done. The first day, we went to buy movie tickets, and they took our temperature using a little gizmo that they aimed at your head. When we actually went into the movie theatre, they had a big screen that displayed the amount of heat coming from everyone's bodies; people who were over the acceptable limit would presumably show up in red or some warning color. The nest day, we went to a hotel, and the parking attendant opened the door of our minivan, and used another little gadget to shoot infrared light at everyone's foreheads, and took our temperatures that way. After a couple of days, I stopped thinking about it. We had our temperatures taken at malls, restaurants, and entering the subway. I guess it takes that kind of vigilance to prevent another outbreak; looks like there are several cases in southern China already.

On another note, we've made it to the championships of our basketball league! Tonight we play the #4 seeded team; they knocked off the #1 seed last week. I'm glad they did, because we'd lost to the #1 seed twice, and we've beaten the #4 seed twice. We'll have to be careful keep our heads in the game, and not get overconfident or otherwise off-kilter. Speaking of which, maybe I should eat something.

 

This is my personal blog. The views expressed on these pages are mine alone and not that of my employer.