Tuesday, February 17, 2004

ski Utah

I've been skiing since I was about ten or eleven years old. The sad thing is that I haven't really gotten any better since high school. This is most likely because I have too much fear.

I'm convinced that the difference between a decent skier and a really good skier is just fear and athleticism. When I try to ski moguls, or through trees, or on really narrow paths, I get freaked out and turn a lot, which makes me really tired, which makes me more afraid, because I have less control over my very tired legs. Also, I hate falling. That may sound obvious, but boarders fall a lot more often than skiers, and I'm pretty sure it's partially because it's harder to hurt yourself seriously (assuming you're wearing a helmet) so boarders don't mind falling as much. Unfortunately, you learn more when you push yourself until you fall.

That having been said, I had a lovely time skiing in Park City. The resorts there (Park City Mountain Resort, The Canyons, and Deer Valley Resort) are each several mountains wide. You can ski all weekend and never ski the same run twice, if you want (we didn't get to try Deer Valley, since it's skiers only). There are no crowds, so you can park pretty close to the lifts. As a skier with rigid front-loading boots, I appreciate every step that I don't have to walk in my ski boots. Finally, we stayed in a condo right next to The Canyons, at a very decent price. For a bunch of Californians used to Tahoe crowds, it was pure heaven.

 

This is my personal blog. The views expressed on these pages are mine alone and not that of my employer.