Wednesday, July 07, 2004

bloglines

I recently started using bloglines, a feed aggregator.

When I started this blog, I checked a box for "Publish Site Feed" but I didn't really know what it meant. After reading a bunch about the Atom-RSS war and all the ways that people were starting to use feeds, I decided I should at least try out a web-based aggregator.

After several weeks, I've gotten used to going to a single website to see all of the latest from Slashdot, Plastic, and dozens of other discussion sites and blogs. Bloglines is a great site; lightweight, easy to configure, and works great on several browsers (although I'm still getting used to the new UI, which got pushed out today). I do have one feature request: I often click on "Display" to get all the latest, and feel compelled to read through all of the new posts. I wish there was a way to say, "I've read all the posts up to here, save the rest for later."

Though I do wonder, if everyone starts reading online content through aggregators, if content providers will be able to keep relying on advertising for revenue? It would suck if ads started getting incorporated into the feeds themselves.

No comments:

 

This is my personal blog. The views expressed on these pages are mine alone and not that of my employer.