Friday, July 09, 2004

it's alive!

I finally got a Gentoo installation up and running on my "new" machine, by downloading yet another version (2.6.7-gentoo-r8) and compiling pretty much the full kernel.

At first, networking was still broken, but I poked around in the Gentoo forums and read something about strange interactions with APIC (or ACPI?) neither of which I needed, so I took those out of the kernel and then everything worked beautifully.

I set the hostname as "stud-finder", which is something of an inside joke, but still goes with my theme.

Next up, a fresh installation of Windows 95 for my eight-year-old Pentium Pro 200, aka "the-wrench". RedHat 7 + Gnome turned out to be too damn slow.

No comments:

 

This is my personal blog. The views expressed on these pages are mine alone and not that of my employer.