Monday, December 01, 2008

hmm

This morning, I read this article about a new Taiwanese movie called "Cape No. 7", which has a lot of Japanese influence.

My first reaction was to try to find the movie on Netflix, but it's not available, at least not yet.

My second reaction was to be disgusted that the Chinese government is again practicing censorship, this time using fears of "nationalistic backlash" as justification.

Then, I tried to consider whether perhaps there was some kernel of truth in their justification. Is there a topic which is so sensitive for Americans that if a movie was made addressing it, its very release would cause mass riots? I'm having a hard time thinking of one.

In any case, there's no good excuse for censorship, so I guess I'm just pondering different degrees of badness anyway.

No comments:

 

This is my personal blog. The views expressed on these pages are mine alone and not that of my employer.