Friday, December 19, 2008

second annual Puerto Rico tournament

After finally getting home from Jamaica last Sunday, I took a shower, picked up some cupcakes, and headed over to a friend's house, for our second annual Puerto Rico tournament!

I unfortunately missed out on last year's event because I was out of town, so I was determined to make this one, jetlag be damned. There were 12 participants, so the preliminary round consisted of four games with three players each, and then the final round had three games with four players each, with the four winners of the first round playing against each other, etc.

I won my first game with my standard small market + harbor strategy, using coffee as my cash crop. Luckily both the other two players chose tobacco, so I was able to cash in throughout the game, and ended up buying two large buildings.

The second round was interesting; although I managed to secure both a harbor and a wharf, I seemed to be unable to gain ground on the leader by shipping often during the endgame. He had a wharf of his own, plus a small warehouse, and used some interesting tactics to make shipping less productive for me; he chose the captain before anyone had crafted, chose the craftsman twice in a row, etc. In the end, he beat me by two points for the championship. It was certainly an interesting game, though! I'm looking forward to next year's tournament already.

No comments:

 

This is my personal blog. The views expressed on these pages are mine alone and not that of my employer.