Monday, May 25, 2009

daytrip to Point Reyes

Since I'm leaving for Peru next weekend, I didn't want to make big plans for Memorial Day, but I did want to get out of the house, so I decided to plan a daytrip to Point Reyes.

We started out in Novato, and stopped briefly at the Rouge et Noir cheese factory and the Tomales Bay Oyster Farm before heading to lunch at Nick's Cove. There, we had local fresh oysters (the Preston Point was especially good), clam chowder with leeks and bacon, a fried oyster and pork po' boy for D, and a Camembert and salami sandwich for me.

After lunch we drove down to the Cowgirl Creamery in Point Reyes Station, where I discovered I liked their "Red Hawk" even better than their classic triple-cream "Mt. Tam". I also bought some delicious "Cave Aged Marisa", and a Spanish Fig Almond Cake.

From there we headed towards the Point Reyes Lighthouse. The road was a bit windy (WINE-dy) and the weather was very windy (WIN-dy), but we had a good time driving around, enjoying the views, and walking the short distance down to the lighthouse:


On the way back, I mostly enjoyed gawking at the fields of cows. In some places there weren't even any fences between the cows and the road. It was there that I realized they are very placid animals; our presence apparently did not bother them at all:


We did try walking along the Mount Vision trail for a bit but the day was too foggy to see much of anything, let alone a view, so we soon headed home, briefly detouring through Samuel P. Taylor Park, mostly for nostalgia's sake. I used to go there all the time as a kid, and I even remember specifically learning to jump rope there, when I was about five or six years old.

The rest of the weekend was pretty chill. There was a birthday dinner, a housewarming party (at which I tried Kopi Luwak coffee, which my cousins and I will probably forever call "poop coffee"), some board games (of course), and tonight we watched the Nuggets-Lakers game at a friend's house (beat LA!), but overall I feel quite well rested, for once. Time to start packing...

No comments:

 

This is my personal blog. The views expressed on these pages are mine alone and not that of my employer.