Saturday, October 03, 2009

exceeds expectations

D and I are currently staying at the Peninsula Hotel in Bangkok. We've stayed at some nice hotels during this trip, but this place takes the cake, service-wise.

I went to the hotel gym this afternoon to work out. As I entered the gym, I was slightly disappointed because I didn't see bottled water, only coolers and cups. I shouldn't have worried; the bottles were lined up on each of the cardio machines, and as I chose a treadmill, a gym staffer tore the plastic wrap off of my bottle and handed it back to me, along with a gym towel.

When I finished running, as I stepped off of the machine, a new staffer handed me a chilled lemongrass scented towel, and asked me if I would like to use the sauna. I told him that I was going to stretch, and inquired if there was a disinfectant bottle. He looked horrified, and assured me that he would take care of the machine. After laying out a gym mat for me, he cleaned and disinfected the treadmill, put new covers on the attached headphones, and replaced the bottle of water.

I noticed that he watched for a couple seconds as I started my stretches, and I wondered why. When the next person stepped off of his treadmill, he also said he wanted to stretch, and also got a mat prepped for him. He just sat on it for a little bit, so the staffer quickly asked him if he would like any assistance. Upon hearing assent, the staffer (who I guess is also a trainer?) launched into a full set of assisted leg stretches. It was like watching NBA warmups or something.

After I was done stretching, I was (of course) handed another chilled towel, and asked if I would like a sauna or a shower readied for me (I said I'd shower in my own bathroom). The mat was cleaned and put away before I finished wiping my face and drinking my water.

I love this place.

No comments:

 

This is my personal blog. The views expressed on these pages are mine alone and not that of my employer.