Thursday, July 08, 2010

just fix it

For the past few weeks, there's been a little orange bubble on top of the "options" icon () in all of the Chrome windows on my work desktop. It was pretty small, so it was probably hovering just below my annoyance threshold, and I never bothered to figure it out. Also, I think in the back of my mind I thought that it must have to do with my Gmail chat status somehow, even though that makes no sense whatsoever.

Just now I clicked on it and got this message:
Old school is not cool. Google Chrome is woefully out of date because it hasn't crashed or restarted in weeks. Restart to apply update.

Pretty cute message and all, but I really hate restarting my browser, partially because I always have like three or four windows open with five tabs apiece, and partially because we have an OTP authentication scheme at work that requires me to dig up an OTP keyfob every time I start a new browser instance. Anyway, I grumbled about the convenience for a couple seconds but decided to restart anyway. I clicked on the icon, Chrome restarted itself, and magically opened up all my windows and tabs again. Awesome sauce (with no orange bubbles)!! Yes, I know that's how it's supposed to work, but I find I'm often amazed when software works properly.

No comments:

 

This is my personal blog. The views expressed on these pages are mine alone and not that of my employer.