Thursday, December 16, 2010

now you tell me

I went to the dentist this morning. After looking at the x-ray, the dentist told me that I had two new cavities. We then had a conversation that went something like this:

her:How's your flossing going?
me:Good! I floss almost every day now.
her:Hmm. <long pause> Do you use Glide floss?
me:Huh? Yes...why?
her:Oh. Yeah, it really doesn't work very well. Switch to something else.

Apparently Glide, although really easy to use, is not actually effective, partially because it slides over your teeth so easily that it doesn't catch much food and/or plaque. She said she'd had another patient a few months ago who had a similar problem, despite flossing every day with his children.

Anyway, she prescribed new floss, new high-fluoride toothpaste, and a fluoride varnish. Then, as I was leaving the office, I was given a standard freebie bag. Inside was a toothbrush, toothpaste, and Glide. When I pointed that out, the dentist laughed apologetically and told me it was not an endorsement. Sigh.

No comments:

 

This is my personal blog. The views expressed on these pages are mine alone and not that of my employer.