Friday, March 19, 2004

not cute at all

I was going to write a post about how Taiwan's President Chen has his own line of clothing and accessories, branded with a cute cartoon of his face, and how maybe that said something about the Asian take on democracy.



Then, I woke up to find this all over the AP news:

Taiwan's President, Vice President Wounded in Shooting
Both Were Released From Hospital Following Treatment

TAIPEI, Taiwan, Mar. 19 - Taiwanese President Chen Shui-bian and his vice president were wounded Friday after at least one bullet was fired at them while campaigning on the eve of an election that has deeply divided the island and angered authorities in mainland China.


I'm deeply saddened. Taiwan does not have a history of gun violence, it would be a shame for one to be begun at this critical time.

 

This is my personal blog. The views expressed on these pages are mine alone and not that of my employer.