Friday, September 24, 2004

do I look like an HR person?

When engineering candidates come onsite, we usually schedule them so that they jump right into technical interviews, rather than having a meeting with a recruiter first. It's expected that they will have talked to the recruiter over the phone already, and given limited HR resources, it makes more sense for the candidate to get a wrap-up meeting than an intro meeting.

Today, I was the first person on an interview schedule, and apparently the candidate thought I was an HR person, until I started asking him technical questions. Envision this:

me:How was your flight? Did you come in yesterday?
him:Good, yeah I got in yesterday evening.
me:So, do you want anything to eat or drink?
him:Sure, I'll have a coffee, thanks.
me:Here you go. Okay, so how would you reverse a linked list?
him:Eh??

I'm not sure what to take away from that experience. Maybe I should stop making small talk with candidates. Maybe I should make sure to wear clothes with big MIT logos. Or maybe I should just be amused.

1 comment:

Walter said...

Introduce yourself! My first words to a candidate are usually:

"Hi! My name is ______, and I'm a software engineer on the ______ team. I've been here at ______ for about ______ years/months."

This helps set the context of the interview for the candidate.

 

This is my personal blog. The views expressed on these pages are mine alone and not that of my employer.