Tuesday, September 25, 2007

extremely disturbed

I walked into the women's restroom just now (at work), and heard someone talking. She switched from English to another language shortly after I got there, but continued her conversation. After I left my stall, I checked to see if there was anyone else in the restroom (other that woman and myself), but there wasn't. I concluded there was only one explanation; the woman was carrying on a cell phone conversation while on the toilet.

After I got back to my desk, I mentioned the episode to my officemate, and she informed me that the situation was even stranger than I had realized; apparently that woman had *placed* the call while in the restroom. In other words, she hadn't just received a call, she had actually decided to dial someone up and initiate an extended conversation, while sitting on the toilet. I wonder what the recipient of her call thought when s/he heard the toilets flushing in the background.

Is anyone else disturbed by this or is it just me? Maybe it's a cultural thing?

1 comment:

teenes said...

I've had that happen several times while I was in the restroom here at work. At least once someone initiated a conversation while in the bathroom, several times people have walked in on the phone, done their business, and walked out. Once someone had her phone on speakerphone so she could monitor a conference call. I can only assume she put her side on mute...I guess that one is more understandable since she was just listening and probably really had to go.

Bugs me too. Kinda gross. I don't know if it's cultural, though...

 

This is my personal blog. The views expressed on these pages are mine alone and not that of my employer.