Thursday, November 01, 2007

culinary internship

I got to cook in one of our cafes this morning!

I had to get up early (7am) and was in the cafe kitchen by 8:30am, dicing chuck for Beef Rendang. I also peeled ginger (for Stir-Fry Cabbage & Eggs) and shallots (for Chicken Marsala), rolled maki sushi, skewered shrimp (for Shrimp Satay), cut up whole chickens, and did various small things like opening cans of coconut milk (also for the Beef Rendang) and setting up the salad bar.

The cafe opened promptly at 11:30am, after which I helped staff the line, dishing out new portions as people finished the old ones, and generally trying to keep things moving smoothly. It was really fun, but I hope I wasn't in the way of the regular kitchen staff as they were doing their thing.

At 12:30pm, I was done with my shift, but before I left, I grabbed a to-go box full of the food that we'd just cooked. I think it tasted better because I'd been smelling it all morning. Yum.

No comments:

 

This is my personal blog. The views expressed on these pages are mine alone and not that of my employer.