Tuesday, April 08, 2008

taiwan election results

I'm bummed about the results, of course, but am also carefully observing new President-elect Ma's next steps.

I'm annoyed/worried about:
- his emotional tribute to Chiang Kai-shek on the anniversary of Chiang's death
- his plan to use the (ridiculous) name "Chinese Taipei" to apply to international organizations, and especially his statement that the DPP approach of using the name "Taiwan" is a "total embarrassment"

I'm psyched about:
- his mentioning the possibility of boycotting the Beijing Olympics (as an aside, props to protesters in Paris and London!)

I'm undecided about:
- his pledge to launch regular weekend charter flights to China by July

This is me being reasonable and practical. I also have bouts of cynicism when I just resign myself to concluding the country is going to go all to hell over the next four years. Sigh.

No comments:

 

This is my personal blog. The views expressed on these pages are mine alone and not that of my employer.