Monday, October 27, 2003

New York, New York

I'm visiting my sister in New York City in two weeks.

I love the Bay Area best of all the places I've lived, but from time to time, I do miss the craziness of NYC. I was only there for one summer, it was a totally different life, and I'm pretty sure I would have been exhausted at the age of 30 if I had stayed, but sometimes I wish I could go back for another three months or so. It's just not the same when you visit.

Things I miss:
- subways, subways, everywhere (and stations that are open all the time)
- walking around Battery Park amongst the suits during lunch (although I didn't enjoy the wearing part)
- corporate car service (thank you Goldman Sachs)
- hanging out after work at McSorley's, a Irish pub/dive serving exactly two types of beer, "light" and "dark"
- Broadway shows, off-Broadway shows, and way way off-Broadway shows
- concerts at Jones Beach
- outdoor showings of old movies in Bryant Park
- Central Park: rollerblading, chilling on the grass, just looking at it from someone's apartment on the Upper East Side
- never getting ID-ed (and I was a young-looking 21, that year)
- being out and about at 4am and seeing streets full of people
- chancing on a random street festival, staying for awhile, and having a blast
- authentic Russian food, Jewish food, Italian food, Irish food, Chinese food...
- lots of lovely old bookstores and trendy new coffeehouses to sit and read in

Now I'm all nostalgic.

 

This is my personal blog. The views expressed on these pages are mine alone and not that of my employer.