Thursday, May 06, 2004

Madeleine Albright visits, and I visit Hooters

Madeleine Albright was here yesterday, and she answered a lot of questions about her new memoir, Madam Secretary, and about her life and foreign policy in general.

One of my questions to her was whether or not she agreed with Senator Kerry's position that the US does not have an obligation to defend Taiwan, should China attack or declare war. I won't discuss her answer, since her visit was off the record.

However, it was interesting to me that several of my coworkers were surprised to learn of Kerry's opinion. I directed them to this transcript of a speech he made to the Senate, in which he clearly states:

"The Taiwan Relations Act does not commit the United States to come to the defense of Taiwan in the event of an attack."

I mentioned before that Senator Kerry's comments on this issue made me seriously reconsider voting for him. I wonder, were his position more widely known, how many people would do the same?

On a lighter note, we went to Hooters (at Fisherman's Wharf) for a birthday party yesterday night. It was amusing enough, especially when the birthday boys got decked out with strategically placed balloons and danced with the Hooters girls, but people certainly do not go there for the food. Ugh.

 

This is my personal blog. The views expressed on these pages are mine alone and not that of my employer.