Wednesday, November 10, 2004

death of a hard drive

The other day, my work computer started making strange (and annoying) clicking noises, so I filed a ticket, and the Helpdesk people diagnosed the problem as the hard drive going bad.

That afternoon, they came by with a new hard drive, swapped it in, and I was up and running in about ten minutes. All of my data except the binaries I'd compiled were in my home directory (stored remotely on the network) so I just ran a couple of compilations and I was back in business.

I did lose my local installations of Firefox and Thunderbird, but luckily Ops had added both to our standard Linux desktop configuration at some point, so in effect I just got a version upgrade.

No comments:

 

This is my personal blog. The views expressed on these pages are mine alone and not that of my employer.