Wednesday, March 08, 2006

congrats to Ang Lee!

I was really happy to hear that Ang Lee, one of my favorite directors, won an Oscar for his work on Brokeback Mountain. I've yet to see this one, but I've enjoyed most of his previous movies, including Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, The Ice Storm, and The Wedding Banquet.

As a side note, I am somewhat amused by the reaction by the Chinese press, who really had to do a number to spin this story. Not only did they claim Lee as "Chinese", even though he was born and raised in Taiwan, they censored any mention of the movie's subject matter. I guess it's probably a blow to national pride that Taiwan now has an Academy Award winning director, while China does not.

I wonder how they felt when Taiwan blew out China last week in the World Baseball Classic?

No comments:

 

This is my personal blog. The views expressed on these pages are mine alone and not that of my employer.