Thursday, May 24, 2007

words of a queen

For some reason, I've always been fascinated by European royalty. I've read all about Eleanor of Aquitaine, Henry VIII and his wives, King Ferdinand and Queen Isabella, William the Conqueror, and many others.

Recently, I've been on a Queen Elizabeth kick. Rosalind Miles' I, Elizabeth is a fairly easy read, but I don't think it does justice to the real Queen Elizabeth.

Anyway, I recently came across this Queen Elizabeth quote in a recent SF Chronicle article, which I liked very much:

Queen Elizabeth I [...] in her famed speech to English troops before their showdown with the Spanish armada declared: "I know I have the body but of a weak and feeble woman; but I have the heart and stomach of a king, and of a king of England, too, and think foul scorn that Parma or Spain, or any prince of Europe, should dare to invade the borders of my realm."

No comments:

 

This is my personal blog. The views expressed on these pages are mine alone and not that of my employer.