Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Niners nostalgia

The Niners' offense has pretty much sucked beyond belief all season, which has made watching their games tedious as well as agonizing, even though the defense is indisputably much improved.

Last weekend the Niners were on their bye, so I actually did not spend most of Sunday sitting on a couch watching football. Interestingly, I felt strangely guilty while enjoying my non-watching of yet another dropped pass and/or unblocked sack.

I guess my point is that it's not exactly fun to be a Niners' fan right about now, which is why I enjoyed this Sports Guy tidbit (buried in a column about the greatness of this year's Pats) all the more:

During my sophomore year in college, I remember watching the '89 Niners and thinking, "There's no way in hell they can be beaten. You'd need about 35 things to happen." As it turned out, they outscored their opponents by a 442-253 margin in the regular season, lost two games by a total of five points and rolled through their three playoff opponents by the unfathomable score of 126-26. Yeah, the '92 Cowboys were great; so were the '94 Niners and the '98 Broncos. But the '89 Niners were on a different level, and we haven't seen anything like it since.

No comments:

 

This is my personal blog. The views expressed on these pages are mine alone and not that of my employer.