Monday, August 18, 2008

assorted doings

Driving home from work today, I realized that it's starting to get dark earlier. I'm not sure how summer went by so fast. Sigh. I don't even like summer usually, but it's been quite pleasant and not very hot at all this year.

Last week I went to yet another company offsite, this time at Great America. The rides and shows were fun, but the highlight of my two hour stay was getting to eat a big cup of soft strawberry lemonade. Why don't they sell the stuff outside of amusement parks, I wonder?

Over the weekend a bunch of alumni from my college dorm descended on the Bay Area for a reunion of sorts. I was busy for most of Saturday but joined them Friday night for dinner at Walzwerk, a German restaurant in the Mission. I'm sure it was authentic and all but I think I'm just not that fond of German food and/or beer, both of which were present in large quantities. In fact, I distinctly remember not liking Germany because of the food, even compared to Austria or Switzerland. Anyway, it was fun to see everyone, and afterwards we headed to Festa, a teeny karaoke lounge in Japantown. I drank very little (maybe two drinks) since I expected to be drinking much more on Saturday night, so I didn't end up onstage, but some of our party did, and seemed to have a good time.

Saturday night I headed up to the city again, this time for a bachelorette party. We met up at the Fairmont (where the girls who were crashing in the city had gotten upgraded to a pretty nice suite), and hung out there for a bit before embarking on a club tour with Three Babes and a Bus. The original plan was to hit Gravity, Roe, and then Suite One8One, but we had to ditch Roe after an episode where we nearly lost the bride-to-be and got off-schedule. Seven drinks and six hours later, my designated driver took me home, where I think I managed four bottles of water before heading to bed. Apparently that was enough, since I successfully made it to basketball practice the next day at noon.

I guess my strategy for coping with the end of summer is to cram in more fun before it's over. Anyone for another BBQ?

No comments:

 

This is my personal blog. The views expressed on these pages are mine alone and not that of my employer.