Monday, October 13, 2008

the cheese-eating gene

Last weekend I went back to Marin to stay at my parents' house, since my grandparents are visiting for the month. At breakfast, I noticed my grandmother (mom's mom) was eating her toast with big chunks of blue cheese. My mother, my brother and I are all quite fond of strong cheeses, especially compared to the average Asian/Asian-American person, so I was amused to discover that my grandmother was also a fan.

Incidentally, we've long suspected that this grandmother is partially Dutch (or other European), due to her very light skin and eyes, persistent family rumors, and the fact that strangely mixed ancestry is common in Taiwan (for instance, we know for certain that my father is one-sixteenth English). Maybe we've been passing down a cheese-eating gene for generations! I wonder if there's a way to find out for sure.

No comments:

 

This is my personal blog. The views expressed on these pages are mine alone and not that of my employer.