Wednesday, January 14, 2009

real journalism

Yesterday I clicked on a link in a friend's chat status, and found an unexpectedly thought-provoking article. It was written by Lasantha Wickramatunge, a leading Sri Lankan journalist, predicting his own death. Three days later, he was shot and killed by unidentified gunmen.

In reading his article and reading about his life, I was reminded of how important good journalism is, in establishing and maintaining a free society. TIME reports that "His death has galvanized the growing anger among the press and other civil-society groups in Sri Lanka about restrictions on free expression in the country and intimidation of the media." I hope they are correct.

And, I hope that similarly courageous and talented journalists exist in Taiwan. They are sorely (and increasingly) needed, to keep the government in check during these tumultuous times.

No comments:

 

This is my personal blog. The views expressed on these pages are mine alone and not that of my employer.