Monday, June 29, 2009

learned something today

Earlier this evening, I was given the opportunity to meet Senator Kirsten Gillibrand, to advocate on behalf of one of my favorite topics. The woman who set up the meeting is well-known in the Taiwanese-American community, but also serves on the board for Center for Reproductive Rights, so she brought a list of choice-related issues. It was quite educational for me, listening to her presentation of those topics.

For example: Until today, I was unaware that military hospitals are forbidden from providing abortions, except in cases of rape, incest, or if the mother's life is in danger. This holds true even if the servicewoman (or military dependent) wishes to pay for the procedure by herself. So, these women in uniform, who are overseas serving our country, are forced to seek local doctors (I'm trying to imagine how an American soldier would find a doctor to perform an abortion on her in Iraq?), or wait until they are able take the time to travel to a non-military American hospital. Sounds crazy, doesn't it? Well, two California Congresswomen have introduced an amendment to make it possible for doctors to perform (privately funded) abortions at American bases, in countries where abortion is legal. I sincerely hope it passes.

No comments:

 

This is my personal blog. The views expressed on these pages are mine alone and not that of my employer.