Monday, August 10, 2009

"house" work

I was reading a blog post this morning by a woman who has a "house manager". This person not only does housework, but takes care of things like researching teachers and extracurricular classes for her kids, buying presents for friends and relatives, etc. Basically, the house manager is like an admin for the home.

Anyway, one of her primary points was that we should decide what things we enjoy doing and what things we don't enjoy doing. Then, for those things that we don't enjoy doing, we should figure out how much it would cost to pay someone to do them, and hire someone, if feasible. That got me to thinking of what "house" related tasks I like and dislike.

Things that I like:
- grocery shopping and cooking
- making travel arrangements
- planning social events
- managing personal finances
- taking and organizing photos
- researching and shopping for presents

Things that I hate:
- laundry
- cleaning bathrooms
- vacuuming, mopping, and dusting
- shopping at crowded places like Target, Costco and especially Babies/Toys-R-Us

Things that I tolerate:
- dishes and cleaning kitchens
- driving to physically pick things up
- researching and hiring vendors (e.g. painter, handyman, gardener)

I guess it's no wonder I hire someone to clean my house.

No comments:

 

This is my personal blog. The views expressed on these pages are mine alone and not that of my employer.