Friday, May 13, 2011

bike to work day

Goal #2 achieved! Yesterday in honor of Bike to Work Day, I finally biked to work.

My bike is 18-years-old and crappy; my parents bought it for me when I was in high school. I was a little concerned about the bike surviving all the way to work since it's nearly 20 miles door-to-door.

The first three miles from my house down to 101 are a steep descent; I literally did not have to pedal for over a mile and a half. I stopped by Oracle briefly to meet up with a friend, and from there we took the second half of the bayway route.

The route was pretty complicated but luckily I had written up a little card with directions and pasted it on my bike. Also, there were often little colored arrows pasted on the ground at the more confusing intersections, and then as we approached Mountain View there were lots of other bikers to follow.

In the end it took about 1 hour and 40 minutes, which works out to roughly 12 mph. Not great, but then again it was my longest bike ride in over fifteen years.

Anyway, that's ten items done or in progress, which gives me 2.5 years to knock off another twenty. Still on track!

1 comment:

al13 said...

I miss you seeing you on TV Emily.. :(

 

This is my personal blog. The views expressed on these pages are mine alone and not that of my employer.