Friday, March 21, 2008

deposit without envelope

Sometime last year, my local Wells Fargo branch upgraded their ATMs with a new feature, "deposit without envelope". I love it.

Old procedure:
- Hunt down a deposit envelope.
- Write down the amounts of all the checks.
- Add up all the amounts and write the total on the envelope.
- Put all the checks into the envelope, and deposit.

New procedure:
- Stick a big stack of checks (up to 30!) directly into the ATM.
- Watch gleefully as the ATM does OCR on the checks and figures out the total.

Now they just have to invent a way to automatically endorse the checks after I enter my PIN.

3 comments:

Mark Woon said...

Couldn't agree more. They haven't upgraded all their ATMs yet though and it's always a shock to encounter the old ones. Envelopes?? What???

While you don't really have to endorse the checks (since they'll accept them either way), you do have to know your total because I've had the OCR screw up a 1 and a 7 before (not in my favor).

Emily said...

I do estimate the total, or else I use the handy "review checks" feature to confirm the OCR did the right thing. I haven't had it make a mistake yet, though...

Walter said...

I thought the best feature is that the ATM (optionally) prints a scanned image of the checks on your receipt, so you walk away from the machine with evidence that you actually deposited something.

In the past, I never used ATMs for deposits because I didn't trust them, especially with cash deposits. What if something "fell" out of an envelope?

Anyway, this is 1 of only 3 things I like about Wells Fargo. (The other two: their SOMA branch has free parking and is open until 6pm on Saturdays.) Everything else about Wells Fargo sucks.

 

This is my personal blog. The views expressed on these pages are mine alone and not that of my employer.