Thursday, May 15, 2008

two puffs

I've always had bad eyes. When I was about two, an eye doctor decided I had a problem focusing with both eyes, and he gave me a pair of 3D glasses and put a red-and-blue screen on our TV, so I'd have to focus properly. I got glasses when I was almost eight, contacts when I was eleven, and over the years I've switched through four types of contacts (extended wear, disposable, "Night & Day", and now RGP) and lots of brands of contacts solution.

You would think I'd be used to going to eye doctors by now, but there's still one part that I hate: the glaucoma test. You sit and look at a little red light, and someone shoots a "little" puff of air into your eye. A long time ago the machine used to make a little noise right before it shot out the air, and I would instinctively blink, which would invalidate the test. One time it took me about five or six puffs per eye before they were able to get a reading. Machines have gotten better over time, so recently I've been averaging about three puffs. Today it only took two! Afterwards I was thinking it seemed like the amount of air has decreased since last time, but maybe I'm just all zonked out from my "non-drowsy" allergy medication.

2 comments:

Mark Woon said...

Hey, they've alternatives to those evil puff machines now. Last time I got tested I was surprised to see my optometrist use something new. I forgot what it's called, but it measures pressure using some other mechanism. If you're not too partial to your optometrist you can probably find one that has these new devices as well.

Emily said...

Hmm. I rather like my optometrist. Maybe by next year they will have upgraded their equipment?

 

This is my personal blog. The views expressed on these pages are mine alone and not that of my employer.