Sunday, February 07, 2010

butternut squash w/ barley, corn, & leeks

We got an entire butternut squash this week in our veggie box. I wasn't sure what to do with it at first, but then I saw this wild rice pilaf recipe on epicurious that looked interesting. I didn't have any wild rice, but I did have some pearl barley, so I went with that. I also didn't bother with the parsley.

Here's what I did, in the end:

Butternut Squash w/ Barley, Corn, & Leeks

1. Cook 1-2 cups barley in chicken stock and water for 30-45 minutes.

2. Cut the butternut squash into cubes, toss w/ oil, salt & pepper, and bake at 400 degrees until soft. (I think this took about 20 minutes.)

3. Dice the white part of two leeks, and cook two ears of white corn. Simmer the leeks and corn in water with 1 tablespoon butter, for about 5 minutes. Add garlic salt.

4. Add the squash and barley to the leeks and corn, and mix together.

It turned out pretty well, although I was adjusting the whole time to make sure neither the barley nor the vegetables were too watery or too dry, so I'm not confident about any of the measurements.

No comments:

 

This is my personal blog. The views expressed on these pages are mine alone and not that of my employer.