Monday, February 01, 2010

chasing culture

When it comes to classical music, I find that I gravitate towards somber pieces. For example, I love Mozart's Requiem Mass in D minor, and wanted to use it in a wedding processional, but that idea was vetoed.

I heard Yo-Yo Ma playing some Bach Cello Suites when I was a kid, and I decided that I liked cello music. I think there's something about the tone of the cello that is inherently a little bit melancholy? Maybe I'm making that up.

Later on, I saw him play in an amazing West Wing holiday episode, which made me really want to see him live.

So, when I heard that Yo-Yo Ma would be playing with the San Francisco Symphony this season, I put the single ticket sales date on my calendar. That morning, I spent an hour clicking on windows in four browsers on two computers, and finally got my tickets (awesome loge seats near the center).

On the day of the performance, MTT came out and treated the audience to a short "fun" piece. I've totally blanked on the name of it now, but it was a nice transition from the rainy weather outside.

Then, the official program started with a short piece by Sibelius called "Oceanides". It was lighthearted and entertaining and the water theme was very clear. I'd never heard anything by Sibelius before, so it was a pleasant surprise.

Next up was the prime event; Yo-Yo Ma playing Shostakovich's Cello Concerto No. 2 with the symphony. He was very good, but I think I am not a huge Shostakovich fan. It's too "modern" for my taste. I actually preferred the Tchaikovsky "Little Russian" Symphony which followed, but I'm a sucker for Tchaikovsky. Still, it was a great evening of music.

I topped it off by going home and spending the rest of the the evening listening to Bach Cello Suites on YouTube.

No comments:

 

This is my personal blog. The views expressed on these pages are mine alone and not that of my employer.