Friday, February 25, 2011

california love

A few days ago, a friend and I were discussing how high California's taxes are. We currently have the sixth highest state income tax at 10.6% (trailing New Jersey, New York, Connecticut, Wisconsin, and Rhode Island), and the highest sales tax at 8.25% (not counting local taxes). She laughed at me when I concluded "it sucks here, too bad it's so nice". Admittedly that was not my best communication moment, but I think both of us understood what I was trying to say. It really is very hard for me to imagine living anywhere else, and as much as I complain about costs, it's still a no-brainer for me to stay.

Tangentially, I recently ran across this quote which amused me:
It is an odd thing, but every one who disappears is said to be seen at San Francisco. It must be a delightful city, and possess all the attractions of the next world. -- Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray

No comments:

 

This is my personal blog. The views expressed on these pages are mine alone and not that of my employer.