Tuesday, March 17, 2009

actually enjoying moguls

I learned to ski when I was about ten years old. By high school I was fine with all blue runs and the occasional black run. After college (when I didn't ski much) I became comfortable with flat black runs and the occasional double black, but I still did horribly with moguls and with ungroomed powder.

I don't know what happened, but last weekend at Northstar, it was like a switch flipped, and I all of a sudden decided that mogul runs were fun. A friend of mine had rented a ski-in ski-out condo for a few weeks (so awesome!) and a bunch of us were crashing with him for the weekend. One person (who had noticeably better technique than me) would often suggest mogul runs, while another (not quite as good technique-wise but with no fear whatsoever) would always agree to them. Somehow this setup was conducive to me agreeing to try several light mogul runs. The Rapids (down the lift line on Backside) proved to be too long for me, and I cut out to Lower Burnout, but I quite enjoyed Jiboom and the bumpier parts of the Plunge. In fact, it was me who suggested a repeat of Jiboom as the last run of the day on Sunday afternoon. Fun!

No comments:

 

This is my personal blog. The views expressed on these pages are mine alone and not that of my employer.