Thursday, March 19, 2009

a very Japanese week

On Tuesday, I headed up to Japantown after work. Amazingly, I was eating dinner at Kushi Tsuru by 7:30pm (maybe the bad economy is finally affecting traffic?). I topped off my yummy katsu-don with dessert at Sophie's Crepes: half of a "Japanese" crepe (red bean w/ green tea gelato) and half of a scoop of black sesame gelato. I finished in plenty of time to get into line at the Kabuki for the 9pm showing of Gururi no koto (aka "All Around Us"), one of the films from this year's Asian American Film Festival.

Yesterday on my way home, I stopped at Nijiya to pick up groceries for dinner. In addition to the items on my list, I also bought frozen edamame (product of Japan), potato "croquettes", and Japanese salad dressing. For dinner with friends, I made udon with sliced beef, nappa, shiitake mushroom, and kamaboko (fish cake), and heated some ready-made taiyaki for dessert.

If only Japan weren't so expensive, I think I'd go more often. Sigh.

No comments:

 

This is my personal blog. The views expressed on these pages are mine alone and not that of my employer.