Monday, July 20, 2009

superstardom

Yesterday, D and I went with some friends to check out the King Tut exhibit at the De Young. It was a pretty cool collection, but the galleries were really crowded, so we only spent about an hour inside, before retreating to other parts of the museum. I do like hanging out in the tower.

Afterwards, we dispersed, and the two of us decided we wanted to go to Burma Superstar for dinner. Since it was only just 5pm, so we thought we'd stop for some coffee across the street at the Blue Danube Coffee House (one of my high school hangouts, yay!). As we sat in the coffee house, we saw that the restaurant was quickly filling up. At 5:20pm, we decided it would be smarter to just eat an early dinner, rather than risk having to wait for a table. Our decision was well-timed, as we got one of the last two open tables. By 5:40pm, I heard the waitress tell someone on the phone that the wait would be an hour!

Anyway, we ordered three dishes:
- Platha and Dip: This appetizer was kind of similar to roti prata, and kind of similar to scallion pancakes (no scallions, of course). The dip was a chicken curry, and came with a surprising amount of meat. It was a nice change from other fried dough dishes.
- Tea Leaf Salad: This was my favorite dish; the tea leaf gave the salad an almost fermented flavor, which was interesting and yummy, but I liked the texture best; the lettucs was tossed with sunflower seeds, fried garlic, and yellow peas.
- Chicken Casserole w/ Cardamom Cinnamon Rice: The casserole was generously portioned, and very flavorful. In fact, my one complaint might have been that it was almost too flavorful; I think I'm used to having blander rice dishes. I also would have liked more raisins, but overall I enjoyed the dish.

No comments:

 

This is my personal blog. The views expressed on these pages are mine alone and not that of my employer.