Monday, November 03, 2008

yet another Taiwan post

After my grandparents left to go back to Taiwan to attend the 10/25 protest, I was curious about how it turned out, but not surprisingly, I had a lot of difficulty finding English news reports of any substance.

Today, as I was reading about the newest protests, I finally found a Reuters article reporting a turnout of "half a million". Impressive!

Less heartening were the more recent reports that Taiwanese protesters and politicians are being denied the right to wave Taiwan flags in their own country, and that they are being kept away from the visiting Chinese official using razor wires. It's like Taiwan, under Ma Jing-Yeou, is slowly creeping back towards martial law again. It's scary and creepy and generally horrible.

No comments:

 

This is my personal blog. The views expressed on these pages are mine alone and not that of my employer.